Me & my dandy little sous chef – isn’t he just the cutest?!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth *I would reduce this amount to only 2 cups, my mixture was too wet.
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (use half for less heat) *I omitted buying a whole can seemed silly to me– remember, I’m a northern girl, my mouth does not miss chipotle chile!
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce *could never find this as just a sauce, so I just left out8 taco shells
- 1 1/4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and salt until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook until spices are fragrant and lentils are dry, about 1 minute.
Mix sour cream, chile and adobo sauce in a bowl. Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Mash with a rubber spatula. Spoon 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.
*Little tip – please buy organic or daisy sour cream – there are so many nasty ingredients in other sour creams…it’ll make your skin crawl and your tummy want to cry.
Wouldn’t you know that I forgot to get a picture of the finished product?! OH well, silly me.
Nate decided that he was hungry too, and tired of being a patient little helper in the kitchen.