Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Cookbook Journey: Stir-fry & Pork Chops

 

Stir-Fried Chicken with Broccoli or Cauliflower

Score: B

Lesson learned: By parboiling vegetables first, you end up saving time b/c cooking the broccoli on the wok raw takes a MUCH longer time.  Time saver: poaching veggies!

IMG_2563 IMG_2566

IMG_2570

Sauteed Pork Chops

Score: B+

I’d never made pork chops before!  I think I was both intimidated and turned off because I have eaten many a dry pork chop.  But, oh my lands, these were good!  Not good enough to get beyond a B+ (there could have been some user error – I didn’t follow the recipe exactly at the end – silly me) – but the recipe was for sure good enough to make me want to maintain a relationship with this cut of pork!

Lesson learned:  When making pork chops – you must purchase the ‘center-cut loin chops’ – they have a distinct eye of meat and little meat elsewhere (thank you, cookbook!).  And, buy nice thick pork chops.  The cookbook encouraged the 1 inch chop – but I had 4 that were about 3/4 inch thick and they cooked just great.  I did feel a bit unsure about the color of mine – but everyone else’s were a great color when cut into!

IMG_6259

While enjoying dinner with great friends, I forgot to take a picture!  Blast!  I do not have a picture of a pig anywhere– I will work on that at the State Fair this year.  But, I do have this darling picture of an Irish cow.  And I just love this picture.

No comments: