Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Abi Diet: Dessert Edition – Apple Crisp

In pursuing more healthy, whole foods; a larger amount of veggies present – we would be so silly to say that the abi-inspired diet didn’t have some good ol’ yummies present!

Bring on Apple Crisp!  This type of dessert is one of my absolute favorites – but not so for my dear hubby, so I am needing to be inspired to make this whole dish for myself and abi!  But, doonald does help too!

Apple Crisp (Adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients:

  • 1/4  cup almond meal (I just pulsed that amount of almonds in the food processor and added a bit of sugar)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular flour)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1 tbl. maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small dice-sized pieces
  • 3 lbs. apples (didn’t measure, I used about 7-8 apples)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light honey (I used a bit less than this)
  • 4 tsp. arrowroot (didn’t have any, corn starch is a fine substitute)
  • 1 tbl. brandy

Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to middle position. Place almond meal, flour, sugar, 1/2 cup oats, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined.

(my almond meal – easy!)

IMG_8844 IMG_8846

*insert funny story – my delightful hubby on a whim purchased a rather large amount (multiple cans) of steel cut oats off of amazon.  BUT, I’d been hearing about steel cut oats for a while now, and am happy to now have them take residence on our pantry shelf! 

IMG_8850 

Add butter and pulse until dough begins to come together and is moistened. If the dough looks dry, add a tablespoon of water.  Pour dough into a small bowl and stir in remaining 1/4 cup oats.

IMG_8853 IMG_8854

Place apples, sugar, and honey in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in arrowroot and cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.  Take off heat and stir in brandy.

IMG_8857 

IMG_8860

Pour cooked apples into a 11 x 7-inch baking dish and top evenly with oat mixture.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbling. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Can you think of a sweeter sous-chef? 

IMG_8848

1 comment:

R said...

YUMMY! This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. And no, I could not imagine a cuter sous-chef!