Few things yell “IT’S FALL” to me like butternut squash. There’s something that’s magnetic about it. I’m pulled to it. I don’t even know that many ways to cook it, but it still has some sort of power over me.
For this installment in the ever-growing ‘Abi Diet’ series – it’s Butternut Squash Soup. Souls: prepare to be warmed.
- 6 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese - but I only used one.
1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
*Here’s what happens when one does not correctly lock a food processor in place…oops.
*Does a person really need an excuse to buy croissants? Don’t think so. These little babies make me happy for many days post soup.