Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Raisin’ my Southern Girl (oh, and me too)

Slowly, but surely, this Michigan gal is becoming more of a Southern Belle.  Well, Belle WOULD be pushing it – but I find myself enjoying things that make life in the South unique and rewarding.  Thank you, Southern Living Magazine.

The pace of life is delightful, granted Dallas is a large city with many-a-NYC-transplant, but still, I found myself appreciating how many people do move a bit slower than my beloved Michigan.

People are more kind.  This is where I know I’m a southerner in part of my blood: I enjoy saying Hello to people.  That is not part of up-north DNA.

Plus sweet tea.  I love me some sweet tea.  One of my top-five favorite drinks is an Arnold Palmer (1/2 tea and 1/2 lemonade) – and I find this drink especially delightful on a day such as today: rainy and cold.

And baby does too.  Hehe.  She readily enjoyed sharing our drink today (extremely watered down of course.)

Recipe for EXCELLENT lemonade iced-tea aka a darn good Arnold Palmer:

Makes: 8 cups / Prep: 10 min. / Cook: 5 min. / Steep 10 min.

  • 3 cups water
  • 2 family size tea bags
  • 1 (1 oz.) package fresh mint leaves (1 cup loosely packed) – for all you Dallas-ites (or cities with the like) head to Central Market – a bunch of mint is just $1.
  • 1/2 cup sugar (no one said this was healthy)
  • 4 cups cold water
  • 1 6 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • Garnish with fresh citrus
  1. Bring 3 cups water to a bio in saucepan.  Remove from heat, add tea bags, and stir in fresh mint.  Cover and steep 10 min.
  2. Remove and discard tea bags and mint.  Stir in sugar until dissolved
  3. Pour tea into a 3 qt. container, and stir in 4 cups cold water and lemonade concentrate.  Serve over ice.  Garnish, if you desire – and you should!

Enjoy!

Views of Austin this weekend:

IMG_2491

IMG_2500

1 comment:

MMm&m said...

I LOVE Arnold Palmers....I have one pretty much every day with lunch! That's so funny! Matt calls mine Girly Arnold Palmers b/c I put a little pink lemonade (Maegan loves it) in my sweet tea! Maybe not as authentic, but still yummy!